Monday, September 14, 2015

SYDNEY SWIGART- Blog post #2

“I open my eyes and thrust my arm out.  My blood drips onto the carpet between the two bowls.  Then, with a gasp I can’t contain, I shift my hand forward, and my blood sizzles on the coals.  I am selfish.  I am brave” (Pg. 47).


Summary: This quote is taking place at the choosing ceremony.  Tris goes up to the bowls containing each faction and is forced to choose, she is torn between her family and the faction of her choosing.  She decides to choose dauntless and feels that she is selfish for going her own way but yet she is feels very brave.

Step 1:
QUESTION: What does this observation imply?

ANSWER: This observation implies that is it hard to choose between your original faction and choosing your own new faction.  Most people simply choose their families faction and don’t think twice about it but Tris decided to go her own way and she is having mixed feelings.  She just chose her future and she didn't take the easy rout.  Implies that she is very brave and strong. 

Step 2
QUESTION: What is the significance of this quote?

ANSWER: This quote is very significant because it signifies the turning point in Tris’ life.  It is where she goes from Abnegation to Dauntless.  It wasn’t an easy decision for her and it came as a surprise to some people.  It shows that Tris is special and different that most of the other people around her. 

Step 3
QUESTION: How does this quote tie into the rest of the book?

ANSWER: This quote is basically the beginning of all of the action in the book.  It is the scene where Tris decides her future and it sets the stage for much of the action to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.