Thursday, November 5, 2015

Aditi Bhatnagar--Blog Post 7

The source I have selected for Unit 3 is I am Legend. This film takes place in New York City after a virus, initially made to cure cancer, unfortunately, formed a strand that either killed people or turned the people into predatory mutants. It managed to kill the majority of the population with the exception of the zombie like humans the virus created. However, the main character Robert Neville, who is a scientist, managed to survive because he was somehow immune to this virus. As the lone survivor, he attempts to use his own blood in search for a cure for the virus while protecting himself against the mutant humans.

This film should be interesting to me personally because in Unit 1 I studied the dystopian ideas in reference to individuality versus the lack of diversity both. These ideas can be seen between the individuality found in the sole survivor of the human race and the uniformity in the mutated humans. In addition, this film seems to display a clear division in society which I briefly examined in Unit 2. This is also found in the division between the protagonist and mutant zombies. Although this movie draws many parallels to dystopian themes I have studied in the past, I think it will present know dystopian ideas I have not studied such as the sense of hope that society will improve as well as the theme of violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.