I have chosen to work with the film The Giver (2014) for my primary source and cultural object for Unit
3. I have chosen this source because I read the book a few years back and I
really enjoyed it. Also, from what I remember, the story will go along nicely
with the research and analysis I have already conducted for the dystopian genre.
The basic premise of this story is that there is a world that seems to be
perfect because there is no pain or suffering however when a boy named Jonas is
chosen to be the next Receiver of Memory, he finds out about how wonderful the
real world can be.
This film will fit in with my interest with regards to the
dystopian genre because the story deals with how dystopia takes away people’s
authentic lives and makes them live according to how they want them to. My whole
time in this class I have been contemplating, researching and analyzing what
dystopian literature has to say about what the definition of a human is and
what makes a person an individual versus what are just labels for people used
to categorize and stereotype. At this point in time I feel like this film will
help me to further my understanding and research I have done to this point for
me to come up with a very profound, ultimate claim.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.