Friday, November 6, 2015

Faith Wheat - Blog Post 7



I have decided that my primary source for Unit 3 is going to be the book, The Giver by Lois Lowry. The Giver is about a boy named Jonah who lives in a society in which everything is assigned to the people, no one asks questions and everyone obeys. There is no color, happy, hate, fear, joy, war, etc. The society was created to rid the world of the evils. It was made to eliminate conflict, inequality, divorce, unemployment and injustice. In doing so, it took away everyone’s individuality and choice. Jonah is different and when the Ceremony of Twelve comes along, he gets the job of “Receiver of Memory”, where he gets to work with an old man known as “The Giver”. Jonah receives memories from The Giver from time before this society was created. This job helps Jonas see the world and society as it truly is, and pushes him to fight the oppression of the society.

This book interests me because I love dystopian novels. It interests me to read about a society that was created to eliminate the evils of the world, and in doing so, creates more. A place that was created to be a Utopia slowly turned into a Dystopia. I also love the fight for individuality. People thought that by making everyone the same and getting rid of conflict, everything would be better but in doing so, it took away choice and it took away the things that made them special. I know I read this book forever ago and enjoyed it, but I really don’t remember what happened in it so I’m excited to read it again. I’m also excited to see what other themes and issues are utilized in this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.